ACE 4 Tomorrow (Advancing Children’s Education for Tomorrow)
The Ace It program is a youth-led, youth-founded tutoring organization, under the education branch of non-profit organization Asian Focus North Carolina, in which high school tutors mentor middle-school and elementary-school aged tutees. Through one-to-one mentoring, our outstanding high school tutors not only help students with their studies, but also guide them with general advice and suggestions about school in general. Ace It’s weekly tutoring sessions and special events for tutors and tutees build positive relationships and create a fun and effective learning environment.
We believe that every child should have an equal opportunity to learn and to develop a passion for learning because we are aware that in the 21st century, education goes hand-and-hand with opportunity.
Our goals are:
* to instill in each child a genuine interest in learning through fun and focused mentoring,
* to help students conquer their most formidable subjects,
* to aid them in developing confidence in their abilities,
*and to positively influence each child through tutors who are role models and student leaders; We strive to create a unique environment where middle school and elementary school students can freely ask their high school tutors for help in any of their classes and for advice on various subject matters.
Why We Are Different
* Volunteer based – Our high-school tutors do not receive any payment for tutoring. In an era where tutors cost on average $20-$100 per hour, not every child has the financial means to seek help in subjects areas they may struggle in. We seek to provide a unique opportunity for every child to succeed academically.
*Student-to-Student – We’ve discovered that learning becomes much more effective when kids teach kids. Ace-er’s (the teenage tutors) are not only familiar with the most surefire ways of learning (having struggled with the same subjects not too long ago), but they also know how to relate to and communicate with other kids! Student-to-student teaching is very relaxed, giving middle school and elementary school students complete freedom to ask questions they may have felt uncomfortable asking in the classroom.
* Friendship – Ace It does not only help with academics, it develops bonds between high school and middle school/elementary school students. We hope that through friendships, tutors will become positive role models for tutees. Conversations between tutors and tutees are not limited to math problems or sentence-corrections, but encompass any question the tutee may have about growing up, the transition to high school, etc. Tutees are encouraged to call, email, text, or IM their tutors outside of school for extra help or just to chat.
* One-to-One – Because each tutor has only one tutee, Ace It allows for focus. As tutors and tutees get to know each other better, tutors can better respond to their tutee’s individual needs and learning styles. It’s difficult to reach every person in the world, but it’s not hard to reach just one. With so many reaching, we can help every student reach his/her goals.
Tentative subjects will consist of:
* Basic mathematics up to Pre-calculus and beyond
* Sciences: Biology, Chemistry, and Physics
* Languages (Spanish, Chinese, and Others upon request)
* Reading and Writing (Includes Grammar)
* Test Prep (SAT, ACT, etc.)
* Music Lessons (Piano, Violin, Viola, Cello)
How to Contact Us
If you are interested in receiving tutoring or volunteer as a tutor, please contact us using the Contact Us form.